Search the Archives
Our finding aid acts as an inventory that describes and lists the contents of collections and information about the person, family, or organization that created the collection. Through this site, you can search and browse these finding aids for our many collections available for research.
The VSU Archives catalog supports a variety of search techniques. See an alphabetical list of all of our collections by selecting the 'Collections' tab. Researchers can conduct keyword searches using the text boxes above. These text boxes allow researchers to filter searches by collections, digital materials, keywords, titles, subjects, notes, and date ranges. Researchers can also use the top ribbon to limit searches by Collection, Digital Material, Subjects, Names and Classification.
- Filter by Collection: access finding aids for all collections in the VSU Archives.
- Filter by Digital Material: access born-digital and digitized materials in the VSU Archives. Please note that many items in the VSU Archives exist only as physical items and may not have digital surrogates.
- Filter by Subjects or Names: access controlled vocabularies for topical themes and names found in the VSU Archives.
- Filter by Classification: access lists of collections classified as either Electronic Records, Manuscript Collections or University Archives.
Harmful Content Statement
Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collection’s collection houses materials collected to elucidate the past. We recognize that users may encounter some items within these collections that contain offensive language, viewpoints, imagery or other forms of objectionable content. Such materials document the past and should be viewed within the context of their original time period. Providing online access to these historical materials does not endorse any attitudes, prejudices, or behaviors depicted therein. Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections is committed to upholding the principle of equal and free access to unaltered historical information. (based upon the statement for the Georgia Public Library Service on harmful content)
Search the Collections
From the main page of a particular collection, researchers can use finding aids to discover information about a collection’s context, structure, and content.
- Collection Overview tab: provides contextual information about the collection, including provenance, scope, subjects represented, biographical information, access policies, etc.
- Collection Organization tab: describes the collection’s hierarchical organization. Hierarchies generally include a combination of series, boxes, files, or items. The right side bar outlines this same information.
To search for specific subjects or items represented in a collection, Select the 'Collection Overview' tab and enter a search term into the 'Search Collection' field on the right. Filter by date if desired and click the “Search” button.
For further assistance, email or call the VSU Archives and Special Collections staff at 229-333-7190.