Archives - Place Display
Scope and Contents
Loose Pictures - lamintates for display. 1. Converse Hall: firelighters try to control the blaze of Converse Hall 2. Music Studio / President's Residence: GSWC acquired the building in 1948 and used it temporarily for instruction and practice in Music. The Music Studio was remodeled in 1953 for usc as the residence of the President of the College. The residence was first occupied by the institution's fourth president, J. Ralph Thaxton. 3. Student Union: opened fall 1956 (inside the restaurant of the old college union) 4. West Hall: administration building named in honor of Senator W. S. West, author of the charter of the College and the first President of the Board of Trustees. Here is the sundial which stood in front of West Hall until 1993 when it was replaced by the fountain. 5. Swimming pool, opened 1938: Mid to late 1930s the WPA came to GSWC and built several buildings. The building in the back, later expanded into the college union, served as small gym, bath house, book store, and later a student snack bar. 6. Bus stop: the main and north campuses have been connected by a college owned bus service since 1956. 7. Powell Hall: centerpiece oft the WPA construction on GSWC campus. Completed in 1940. Style is combined Spanish Mission and Gothic. 8. Powell Hall: Dedicated by Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt in 1941 as Georgia State Women's College Library and officially named for Richard Holmes Powell in 1947. Powell Hall now houses the Offices of the Vice President of Student Affairs, Financial Aid, and the Office of Student Counseling, Career Guidance, and Testing. 9. Powell Hall: Entrance to the lobby 10. Powell Hall: The main reading room leading into the lobby. The large reading room now houses tiered auditorium seating added in the early 1970s, but some of the architectural details are still evident. 11. Powell Hall: In the days before library security systems, SGWC students were able to take books and read outside in the "outdoor reading room." 12. Archives Web Site Created by Deborah S. Davis, Archives Librarian and Cindi T. Smatt, Technical Student Assistant 13. West Hall: Snow comes to Valdosta State College 14. Converse Hall: A newspaper article about the fire at Converse Hall on April 14, 1978. A new Converse Hall was completed in 1981 15. Girls in the Walkway: Covered walkway between Ashley and Converse, with West Hall in the background. 16. Ashley Hall: Ashley Hall was renovated into apartments in 1972. By 1995, it was occupied by the personnel Department, the faculty offices of the Department of History, other faculty offices, and the Division of Information and Technology, including the computer Help Desk. The rotunda. one time site of parties. meetings, and teas, now sits empty. 17. Training School Class in Converse Hall: Part of SGSNC was a training school which included elementary and high school grades and served as a pedagogical laboratory lor SGSNC teachers to be. The school lasted from 1913 to 1933, when it was closed for budget reasons, It was extremely popular during its time. 18. Panhellenic House: The former Panhellenic House was acquired in 1965 and used as a meeting place lor sororities. It was renovated in 1997 and is presently being used as the Admissions Office. 19. West Hall (rear view): In 1960-1961 West Hall was renovated to add classroom space. 20. Student Union: Dedicated in 1966 and expanded in 1976: A two-story structure which was the center of all VSU student activity, this building contained the radio station WVVS, snack bar, bookstore, and post otllce. It is built around the swimming pool.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
From the Collection: 24.00 file_cabinet_drawers
From the Collection: English