Interviews with Henry Rutland, bulk: 1995 - 2003
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Henry Rutland, "Fiddlin' Henry Rutland," 1995-2003. Dates: October 21, 1995; October 1, 1997; February 24, 1998 with Paul Massey; September 17, 1999; October 19, 2003. Moultrie (Ga.). Fieldworkers: Kristin Olson, Laurie Sommers. 6 Audio files digitized from cassette and DAT tapes. Part of the South Georgia Folklife Project at Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections.
- Majority of material found within 1995 - 2003
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Series 8: PRJ-1010 Sounds of South Georgia Box 19 Folder 70: VHS-1010.06 The McIntosh County Shouters may not be copied
5.76 Gigabytes (1 electronic record(s) and derivatives. 6 audio files (wav, mp3) 4,954,208,210 bytes. 10 PDF documents (51 scans, jp2). 78 files. 5.76 GB (6,186,922,355 bytes).) : Made available in DSpace on 2022-05-20T14:40:39Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 9 cas-1012-08_19951021_complete.mp3: 81820564 bytes, checksum: ce970028596e92febb2d369f51bb9ebc (MD5) cas-1012-09_19951021.mp3: 28503844 bytes, checksum: c2ecdc114969d1c98de6dd6857a530ce (MD5) tapelog-and-transcript_1995.pdf: 5641829 bytes, checksum: 35d5735e959a9f8cec50013b49881e87 (MD5) ads-1012-048_Redacted.pdf: 545930 bytes, checksum: 3cbb51edd56d8a4cf528571fb4aef0e5 (MD5) dat-1007-09_19971001_complete.mp3: 210674639 bytes, checksum: 2f7237a519f4d7a14fb7437e8e5bfd8a (MD5) tapelog-and-transcript_1997.pdf: 26699456 bytes, checksum: b9e95ea105d4994c47941eddfbf546ac (MD5) dat-1007-015_rutland-massey_19980224.mp3: 54930434 bytes, checksum: 1b72eae5267de7e399ad4f8243e00dbf (MD5) dat_1003-012_19990917_complete.mp3: 41312199 bytes, checksum: 9b11a17fd1ecb8eebe3985b509031b6a (MD5) dat-1003-026_rutland-reunion_20031019.mp3: 166563758 bytes, checksum: 4620e1a965ec71f80e2fc5ab7bc5c045 (MD5) Previous issue date: 1995-10-21
From the Collection: English
Artist Data Sheet
nickname: Fiddlin' Henry Rutland
group_org_name: South Georgia Grass
Call number: PRJ-1012
birthplace: "Cross City, FL"
genre: bluegrass, country, western swing, personal experience narratives, oral history, Bluegrass music, Country music, fiddle, Robert Rutland, Georgia Slim
occupation: "retired country engineer for Colquitt Co, GA"
contact_made_by: Kristin Olson
notes: "Student project for MUS 648 Fall 1995, Laurie Sommers, instructor. Rutland is also included in PRJ 1007 and PRJ 1003 as he and his guitarist Paul Massey participated in various South Georgia Folklife Project programs."
keywords: fiddle, South Georgia Grass, Georgia Slim Rutland
notes: See report by Kristin Olson entitled Henry Rutland: A Case Study of a Bluegrass Musician
2. Henry Rutland and Paul Massey, Moultrie First and Main Festival Performance, October 21, 1995. Moultrie (Ga.). Fieldworker: Laurie Sommers. 00:19:49. Musical performance. Download MP3
3. Oral history interview with Henry Rutland, October 1, 1997. Thomasville (Ga.). Fieldworker: Laurie Sommers. 02:26:17. Includes transcript. Download MP3. Download Transcript
4. Henry Rutland and Paul Massey, February 24, 1998. Thomasville (Ga.). 00:38:11. Musical performance. Download MP3
5. Henry Rutland at Colquitt County Historical Society, September 17, 1999. Recorded at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Moultrie (Ga.). Fieldworker: Laurie Sommers. 00:28:41. Includes event program. Download MP3
6. Rutland Family Reunion, October 19, 2003. Mt. Zion Music Hall, Lowndes County (Ga.). 01:55:39. Musical performance. Download MP3