Scope and Contents
The collection consists of correspondence between Medora Field Perkerson and members of the Wymodausis Club, Mrs. R.J. McClenny and Mrs. Walter Williams. The handwritten journals of Willie Pearl Davis, a member of Wymodausis in the clubs early years, are also included. A typed transcript of the handwritten journals is included. The original bound programs from the Wymodausis Club and one program from the Womens Society of Christian Service are included. Included also is the transcript of a speech given by R. H. Powell of the Georgia State Womens College before the Convention of Womens Clubs in April of 1923. The correspondence is arranged in files relating to the author of the correspondence and the date on which it was written. The bound programs are arranged in files, grouping consecutive years together. The collection also includes an Elementary Spelling Book and a tribute to Mrs. Coley (sister of Willie Pearl Davis).
Harmful Content Policy: Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collection’s collection houses materials collected to elucidate the past. We recognize that users may encounter some items within these collections that contain offensive language, viewpoints, imagery or other forms of objectionable content. Such materials document the past and should be viewed within the context of their original time period. Providing online access to these historical materials does not endorse any attitudes, prejudices, or behaviors depicted therein. Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections is committed to upholding the principle of equal and free access to unaltered historical information. (based upon the statement for the Georgia Public Library Service on harmful content)
- Wymodausis (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for reseach use.
The Wymodausis Club was born in June 1900. The club was started as a literary club and grew into a civic club over time. Mrs. Edward Hudnall, who had been a member of a literary club in Jacksonville, FL, along with Mrs. Mattie Stevens launched the club with great interest. The club met twice a month in the homes of its members. Over time, the membership grew to such a number that they needed a more permanent home. United with the D.A.R. and the U.D.C, they worked towards constructing a home of their own. Completed in September of 1925, the Womans Building, situated next to Brookwood Park (Drexel Park), is a beautiful memorial to the work of those women. Wymodausis achievements constitute a part of the history of Valdosta, GA. Every movement for community improvement, for humanitarian appeal, for intellectual development has been made a part of the Wymodausis effort. Wymodausis became a member of the Georgia Federation of Womens Clubs in 1901 and a member of the National Federation of Womens Clubs in 1916.
Medora Field Perkerson was born, near Lindale, GA, in 1892. She was a writer who, early on, did some free-lance work and wrote for the Rome, GA Herald-Tribune. Through a friend, she obtained a position with the Atlanta Journal and Constitution Magazine as an assistant to the Sunday Magazine editor. Two years later, she married her boss, Angus Perkerson. During her time at the Journal, she worked next to Margaret Mitchell, who eventually helped to get her first book published. Who Killed Aunt Maggie was Mrs. Perkersons first mystery novel, published in 1939 by Macmillan. She also wrote White Columns in Georgia, a non-fiction, historical work. She was the president of the Georgia chapter of the National League of American Pen Women and of the Atlanta Womans Press Club. She served as president of the board of the Atlanta Child Welfare Association. Mrs. Perkerson was the guest speaker for a small number of Wymodausis meetings.
Miss Willie Pearl Davis was a member of the Wymodausis Club. She was the daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. B. W. Davis of Camilla, GA. She graduated from The Monroe Female College in Forsyth, GA, where she was a member of Phi Mu Fraternity, on June 7, 1900 with a degree in Music. After college, she resided in Valdosta, GA in the home of her brother, Britt W. Davis, Jr. On July 9, 1907, she married Mr. Lloyd Edgar Jones, of Valdosta, GA. (The Atlanta Constitution, 6/8/1900, 2/16/1902, 4/24/1904, 2/18/1906, 2/25/1906, 6/28/1907, 7/14/1907, 6/21/1911)
- Valdosta (Ga.)--Social life and customs--Pictorial works.
- Coley, Fannie Davis
- Davis, Willie Pearl
- McClenny, R.J., Mrs.
- Perkerson, Angus
- Perkerson, Medora Field
- Powell, Richard H.
- Rinehart and Co., Inc.
- White Columns in Georgia
- White Gables
- Williams, Monet
- Williams, Walter, Mrs
- Womens Society of Christian Service
- Wymodausis Club
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2020-03-19: Revised for DACS compliance by Douglas Carlson.