Scope and Contents
The Valdosta State University acquired this collection from Andrew and Kathy Tatler-Burgess. Andrew is an artist and an expert in authenticating and restoring documents. Kathy developed an expertise in the field as a buyer for antiquities and an owner of a gallery. This collection documents methods of printing. Techniques including wood block printing, copper plate engraving, steel lithography and hand illustration are used in illuminated manuscripts, biblical leaves, maps, botanical illustrations, and books. The artifacts were produced from the fifteenth century through the twentieth century and were acquired in Europe, America, and Asia. The collection does not represent a complete sequential history of printing, but is comprised of examples that are both historical and artistic. Some digitixed images are attached to the descriptions, a more complete album is located at https://www.flickr.com/photos/valdosta_archives/albums/72157665796026913 .
- Acquired: 2013
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Valdosta State University acquired this collection from Andrew and Kathy Tatler-Burgess. Andrew is an artist and an expert in authenticating and restoring documents. Kathy developed an expertise in the field as a buyer for antiquities and an owner of a gallery.
Note written by Digitalization and research by Dallas Suttles and Douglas Carlson
Source of Acquisition
This collection was purchased from Andrew Tatler Burgess
- Bartolo, of Sassoferrato, 1313-1357.
- Baskett, John, 1666 or 1667-1742
- Bellin, Jacques Nicolas, 1703-1772
- Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, 1571-1638
- Bonne, Rigobert, 1727-1794
- Bowen, Thomas, -1790
- Brant, Sebastian, 1458-1521
- Burgkmair, Hans, 1473-1531
- Buy de Mornas, M. (Claude), -1783
- Clüver, Philipp, 1580-1622
- Cousen, John, 1804-1880
- Coverdale, Miles, 1488-1568
- Curtis, John, 1791-1862
- Curtis, William, 1746-1799
- Desnos, Louis-Charles, 1725-1805
- Einstein, Albert, 1879-1955.
- English. Great Bible. 1553
- Fitch, W. H. (Walter Hood), 1817-1892
- Harenberg, Johann Christoph, 1696-1774
- Koberger, Anton, approximately 1440-1513
- Necker, Jobst de, -approximately 1548
- Ortelius, Abraham, 1527-1598
- Robert de Vaugondy, Gilles, 1688-1766
- Rösel von Rosenhof, August Johann, 1705-1759
- Sacon, Jacques, approximately 1472-1530
- Salomon, Bernard, approximately 1506-approximately 1561
- Sengteller, L. A. (Louis A.), 1845-1889
- Solis, Virgil, 1514-1562
- Sowerby, James, 1757-1822
- Springinklee, Hans, 1495?-1540?
- Tyndale, William, -1536
- Winkles, Henry, 1800-approximately 1860
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Under Revision
- Douglas Carlson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2020-05-05: Revised for DACS compliance by Douglas Carlson.