Popes Chapel United Methodist Church Collection
Scope and Contents
Digitized collection of programs, photographs, and historical documents from Pope's Chapel Methodist Church, Founded in 1786 in Wilkes County, Tignall, Georgia, United States. 1960-2020.
Biographical / Historical
The Methodist Society, which was later organized into Pope’s Chapel Church, was first organized in August 1786 by Thomas Humphries at the home of James Marks located in what is now Elbert County about 1 1/2 miles Northeast of Baker’s Ferry on Broad River. When Elbert County was formed in 1790 from Wilkes County it left most of the church members in Wilkes County, so the church was moved south into Wilkes and located about two mile from Broad River on property owned by John Landrum adjoining his birthplace on the east side of Baker’s Ferry Road. It was in this location that it received its name, in honor of Rev. Henry Pope who supplied most of the timber for the building. Bishop Asbury preached the Dedication Sermon there in 1805. In 1852 the church was again moved about 2 miles southeast to its present location. In 1871 Trustees of the church were Benjamin W. Fortson, M. T. Cash, Augustus A. Neal and James W. Boyd. A second building was constructed here in 1897 in which 2 stained glass windows were installed as a memorial to Benjamin Winn Fortson and his wife Hannah Rebecca Ogilvie by their children. The Dedication Sermon was preached by Lundye Harris in 1898. This building, severely damaged by windstorms was replaced in 1957 by the present building.
14.45 Gigabytes (1 scrapbook containing Pope's Chapel (Tignall, Georgia) annual homecoming programs, photographs, newspaper clippings, and other documentation. Includes some programs from Independence United Methodist Church, Tignall, Georgia. 1 binder containing: Photocopy of "A Brief History of Early Methodist Societies & Meeting Houses in the Broad River Valley of Georgia," by John Wright Boyd, Sr. and Reverend Harold A. Lawrence, Jr. Pope's Chapel (Wilkes), page 58-71. Photocopy of "History of Pope's Chapel Church," as prepared by James Francis Rucker, 1935. 6 pages. Photocopy of "Pope's Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery Inscriptions Wilkes Co, GA" USGWeb. Photograph of photograph. Broad School, Wilkes County, Georgia, 1922. Caption: "Broad School. Educational Survey of Wilkes County 1922. Teacher: Miss Mary Carmichael, Principal; Miss Ella Ree Carlton [sp?].) : popes-chapel-collection_bag.zip 4/28/2021 9:26:59 AM ZIP archive .zip 14.45 GB 4/28/2021 MD5: C8B70993C5CD7C15CB10A3AFD49C365E
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Evelyn Bufford Oglesby. Loaned to Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections for digitization, October 4, 2020. Originals returned. Photographs donated by Kenneth A. Suttles, via email, 2020.
- Pope's Chapel United Methodist Church Collection
- In Progress
- Dallas Suttles
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script