Valdosta State College/University History
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a wide variety of materials relating to the history of Valdosta State University as Valdosta State College from 1950-1993. Items include note cards, newspaper articles, bound documents, bulletins, journal publications, short essays, pamphlets, and photographs. The collection contains both an unbound and a bound copy of Valdosta State College: The First Half Century written by Miss Thera Hambrick, along with the original note cards used. The information contained on the note cards and in the document cover the 1906-1961 time period of campus. Other articles written by Miss Hambrick are present in this collection, along with a folder containing a pamphlet from her memorial service and a copy of her obituary. Articles included in the collection come from various sources including The Valdosta Daily Times, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, The Florida Times-Union, VSC Bulletin, The Southernaire, and render='iThe Spectator, the VSC/VSU college newspaper. Other items in the collection include the alma mater, VSC songs, the retirement announcement of Dr. Thaxton, the inauguration booklet for Dr. S. Walter Martin, homecoming programs, Alumni contact information for male students from 1950-1954, musical and orchestra programs, numerous photographs including building dedications, and several random papers containing brief histories of the campus.
- Acquired: 2010-06-09
- 1906 - 2018
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research
This collection contains material from the 1950-1993 time period in Valdosta State University history. During this time Valdosta State University was known as Valdosta State College. Renamed VSC from Georgia State Womens College in 1950, the school embarked on a new era as a co-ed campus. During the 1950?s the University expanded with the acquisition of the former Emory University campus at Valdosta in 1953, this became what is now known as North Campus. Greek organizations began to appear on campus towards the end of the 1950s, continuing to expand the student organization offerings on campus. During the 1960?s a building boom began on campus, expanding facilities to keep up with the growing enrollment. Due to ill health, Dr. Thaxton retired as VSC president in 1966, a post he had held since 1949. The new president, Dr. S. Walter Martin, continued the expansion of the VSC. Between 1966 and 1978 he oversaw the completion of the library, the Fine Arts Center, the Education Center, and three additional dormitories. The college was expanding at a record pace. The loss of Converse hall to fire in spring 1978 slowed progress. The tragedy was felt by all, as VSC had lost both student housing and a part of history. In the summer of 1978 Dr. Martin retired as president of VSC, making way for the tenure of Dr. Hugh C. Bailey. Under the guidance of Dr. Bailey Converse hall was rebuilt by 1981, and the college expanded its educational offerings, adding satellite locations and graduate programs, all while continuing to increase enrollment. Sports became an integral part of the campus as football was added to the sports team lineup in 1982. Along with the expansion of the sports team came a new P.E. Complex for the use of VSC students in 1982. The 1980s and early 1990s saw continued expansion of VSC, as the college continued to add sports, educational programs, buildings, and students. In 1993 Valdosta State College became Valdosta State University, a regional university of the University System of Georgia. After 43 years as VSC, the campus was renamed again to reflect the continued expansion.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Signed deed of gift, signed by Sandy Folsom for Annie Copeland's 1922 Teacher's certificate.
- Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Bailey, Dr. Hugh C.
- Campus Buildings
- Converse Hall
- Education Center
- Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884-1962
- Florida Times Union
- Gabard, William M.
- Georgia Education Journal
- Georgia State Womans College
- Georgia State Womens College (GSWC)
- Gulliver, Harold
- Hambrick, Thera
- Martin, S. (Sidney) Walter
- Nevins, Beatrice
- North Campus Valdosta State University
- Odum Library (Valdosta State University)
- South Georgia State Normal College
- Thaxton, J. Ralph, Dr.
- The Alumni Association
- The Spectator
- Training School South Georgia State Normal College (SGSNC)
- University Sytem of Georgia Board of Regents
- Valdosta Concert Association
- Valdosta Daily Times (Valdosta, Ga.)
- Valdosta State College
- Valdosta State College Bulletin
- Valdosta State College: The First Half Century
- Valdosta State University
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2021-01-28: Revised for DACS compliance by Douglas Carlson